Recently I've been going a bit crackers for crackers! I've been eating lots of oatcakes, rice cakes and ryvita. I don't want to buy them though, I want to make my own and today I tried (again) to make rye crackers. The thing is although the ingredients in ryvita seem very simple - rye flour, salt and water there seems to be some kind of magic involved in making them as my attempts to make rye crackers out of rye flour and water have been pretty rubbish and I can't find any recipes using those ingredients only.
I did a little reading on how to make rye crackers and there was mention of hot irons. I have a waffle maker, so I thought great I will try that. I didn't make crackers, but I did make waffles!
- 100g organic rye flour
- 250g water
- Grease your waffle maker with either cold pressed extra virgin olive oil or butter, set it to a high temperature and turn it on.
- Weigh out the flour into a bowl and gradually add the water mixing it well
- Once the waffle maker has reached the correct temperature pour some of the mixture into the waffle maker, put the lid down and leave it for at least 5 minutes before having a look to see how it is doing.
- Leave the waffle in for around 8-10 minutes in total
- Eat straight away or leave to cool completely before storing
- Repeat until the mixture has been used up.
- Store any left over waffles in an airtight container or freeze.
I'm not going to lie, these waffles didn't taste of much, but I'm sure that could be easily rectified with the addition of some seasoning and herbs - something I will definitely try next time! The great thing about the waffles though is that there are no extra ingredients other than rye flour and water and if you don't want to add anything else you don't need to. I have made sweet waffles in the past and found that they freeze really well and then are easily revived in the toaster when needed, so I'm assuming it would work well for these waffles too.
I would love to know the secret to making crackers out of rye flour and water though, so if anyone knows how to do it please share in the comments below!