As you can see by the picture it isn't as bad as it sounds! In preparation for Valentines Day I decided to get crafty with toilet rolls as they are something we have in abundance and they are perfect for packaging little gifts. These chocolate heart filled toilet roll packages are easy to make, look great and are very inexpensive!
To make the toilet roll package at each end you push the sides into the middle so that they overlap.
Then I cut some hearts out of some red card and stuck them on to the front of the package - simple toilet roll package done!
I also made a matching card using some red card and another toilet roll. This time I cut the hearts out of the toilet roll and stuck them on to the red card. It was so quick to make and looks lovely!
To fill the toilet roll packages, I made some white and milk chocolate hearts.
White and milk chocolate heart instructions (makes around 40 small hearts):
100g milk chocolate
100g white chocolate
- Line a tray with baking paper
- Melt the milk and white chocolate in individual bowls in the microwave - 2 mins on high power for both at the same time is about right, but will vary depending upon your microwave.
- Pour each type of chocolate into separate piping bags using narrow nozzles (tip: if you don't have any piping bags you can make your own using baking paper).
- Pipe heart shapes with each colour on to the baking paper leaving enough to fill the shapes with the other colour chocolate.
- Put the tray of heart shaped chocolates in the fridge for a couple of hours
- Scrape all the dried up chocolate out of the piping bags/ off spoons/ plates it has dripped on etc and put it in a jar for using another time - makes great chocolate sprinkles!
Once I had made my hearts I put them in a little paper bag, which I then folded over and popped inside my toilet rolls. As I had made so many I made 4 toilet roll packages - one for my husband, one for each of my sons and one spare which I'm sure I'll be able to find a use for! If you don't have any paper bags and want to be even thriftier, you could use the baking paper you used to line the tray with to wrap the chocolates up!
I really enjoyed making these chocolate heart filled toilet roll packages. They would be great to make with kids and aren't just for Valentines day - they would make lovely party favours at the right party!
Have you been getting crafty for Valentines? What have you been making? I'd love to hear about it!