In what used to be my dining room, I have loads and loads of junk. It is time to reclaim the space though and a couple of weeks ago I made a dent in the junk by dealing with several bags of clothing. These include stained and ruined clothes, baby clothes, clothes that no longer fit but are otherwise fine and clothes that are starting to show a little wear and tear.
So what did I do with all these clothes?
Then I decided to tackle the baby/ toddler clothes. Most of our kids clothes are being handed down to relatives, but there were a few rejects. My options here included:
- Giving the lot to charity - easy option, just dump and run!
- Asking local friends with babies if they want the clothes - still a fairly easy option as I could pop over and drop the clothes off quite quickly, however none were the right size.
- Give stained and ripped clothes to my youngest's nursery. They always need spare clothes for the kids that have accidents or pour paint all over themselves and I have given lots of clothes to them in the past!
- Selling the clothes over e-bay as a bundle - fairly easy to do, but e-bay takes a percentage...
- Selling the clothes at an NCT nearly new sale (not so easy option - need to work out when the next sale is and label all the clothes up and provide them at the appointed time). The NCT take a percentage of the proceeds and I don't have that many good quality clothes left to sell.
- Selling the clothes on Gumtree or the Friday ad - items are free to list and someone local can come and collect them from you.
- Giving the clothes away via Freecycle or Freegle - items are free to list and someone is likely to be round fairly quickly to collect your stuff!
- Launch into a large variety of upcycling projects!
- Saving them for wrapping gifts in!
- Sell them at a car boot sale (have to wait until it gets warmer for that!)
Next up are my clothes that are in good condition, but just don't fit any more.
Options here include:
- Offering my clothes to a friend and this has worked well in the past when I swapped almost a whole wardrobe full of clothes with a good friend! However this time they are the wrong size.
- I could send them off to Swishing
- Give them to charity
- Sell them at a car boot sale
I bagged up all the clothes (as pictured at the top) and put labels on them. I took a leaf out of A Thrifty Mrs' book and wrote the labels on the backs of some envelopes. Then I stuck them on with sticky tape.
I had a good day and removed quite a lot of stuff from my dining room - I still have a bit more to do though!
What would you have done with all those clothes? I would love to hear your hints and tips!
If you liked this post I would really appreciate it if you click like on Facebook and follow on Twitter. Also if you have a Kindle it would really make my day if you subscribe to this blog on it! - Thanks!
This post has been shared at Your Green Resource and Seasonal Celebration Wednesday